The choice between a deck and a patio is one that many homeowners face.
With both options available, it can be difficult to decide which is right for you. For those who have the space, they may want to consider building both! Whatever your decision, it’s important to read on about the pros and cons of each option before making a final call. Decking Contractors in Toronto can be a valuable resource when it comes to this important decision.
If you’re having a difficult time deciding between a deck and a patio, then that’s probably because there are many good reasons to have both. It all depends on what you love about each structure and how much space you have in your backyard. For the sake of comparison, we’ve compared the benefits of owning either one or the other.
What is the difference between a deck and a patio?
A deck is an elevated, outdoor floor- like structure that can be made out of wood or composite materials. A patio, on the other hand, is a flat surface without any elevation. It may be made out of stone tiles, brick interlocking pieces, concrete pavers, or even gravel.
Decks tend to offer more space for activities than a patio. They’re more dynamic and help encourage socialization and outdoor entertainment. Whether you want to have a barbecue or just enjoy an afternoon tea, the extra elevation of the deck makes it perfect for both casual and formal gatherings.
Patios are usually smaller in size, which makes them ideal for small spaces. If space is limited, then this might be the best option. A patio can still provide you with a cozy space for plants, cooking, or just lounging about. If your goal is to create an outdoor seating area in front of your house, then a patio may be right for you.
Decks are usually covered with wood or composite material while patios are often paved with more durable materials like concrete pavers or bricks. This means that fewer repairs will be needed on a patio, which can save you money over time. Patios also tend to attract less dirt and debris than a deck, which means less cleanup.
Pros and cons of each type of outdoor space
Pros of a deck
• A deck can be decorated with potted plants or flowers, which helps to beautify your space.
• Decks are usually elevated, so they offer more space than patios.
• Decks are perfect for hosting parties and gatherings because of the extra room. If you want some outdoor entertainment space, then decks are great for this.
• Decks also have stairs that lead directly into your house, which is convenient.
• It’s also easier to attach a kitchen or barbecue station to the outside of your deck.
Cons of a deck
• Installing and repairing wood on a deck can be more challenging than working with concrete pavers or bricks.
• Depending on the material you choose, decks can sag or warp over time so you may have to repair it more frequently.
• If your deck is not properly taken care of, it could get worn down and become dirty-looking very quickly. It will require more effort to clean since dirt tends to get trapped in the wood’s grooves.
Pros of a patio
• Patios are usually smaller in size, so they are easier to maintain and less expensive to build.
• If you live in an area that receives lots of rain or snow, then a patio will be more durable than wood. Because it is level with the ground, bad weather will not damage or warp it as easily.
• Bricks or concrete pavers can add beauty and design to your space so you don’t have to put potted plants on top of them.
Cons of a patio
• The space limitations could become frustrating if your goal is to entertain a large group of people or host a barbecue.
• Since it is level with the ground, a patio will require more effort to clean and maintain. You’ll have to sweep frequently to make sure debris doesn’t get trapped in the cracks between bricks or pavers.
• If you want something that’s aesthetically pleasing, then a patio may not be the best option. It’s flat design will certainly make your space feel more like an extension of the ground rather than something elevated and separate.
When you should use one over the other
Decks are usually used in backyards because they offer more space and make it easier to attach a kitchen or barbecue station. For this reason, decks are best for entertaining large groups of people or hosting parties. Patios, on the other hand, may be better suited for small spaces like front yards where you want to create an outdoor seating area. If you want to make your space pretty or add some design elements, then patios are more appropriate. They also tend to be more durable than wood, so they’re better suited for bad weather conditions. Test how ‘watertight’ a deck is before installing it
If you live in an area that gets lots of rain or snow, then choose a patio over a deck. Since they are not elevated, the water won’t run off easily so it will have no choice but to seep into your structure. Wood is very porous, which means it will absorb water and expand or warp. If you must use wood in an area that gets lots of precipitation, make sure to build a roof to protect it. If you want to build a deck, then you should test the ‘weathertightness’ of it before trying to install. You can do this by simply pouring water on top of it after you’ve finished building. If there are no leaks or stains appearing within 24 hours, then your structure will probably be able to handle rainy conditions.
Why it’s important to do your research before deciding which option will work best for you
When it comes to decking material, you have a lot of options. If your deck is exposed to extreme weather conditions, then patio stones are the best choice because they are durable and will not warp or expand in wet weather. If you’re working on a budget or simply want something lighter weight, then you should consider pressure-treated wood. This material is also good for areas that get a lot of rain. In the end, your deck or patio is going to have pros and cons depending on where it will be placed and what purpose you want it to serve. No matter what option you choose, always make sure to do some thorough research before picking a material so you don’t waste any money and time on something that won’t work. Just like with any project, it’s important to do your research and take the right precautions before starting to avoid frustrating and costly mistakes. Hiring a decking contractor Toronto is a great way to ensure the structure is properly installed. Since they already deal with this type of work on a regular basis, they will be able to tell you what option is best for your area.
Benefits of Working with a Professional Decking Contractors
Decking contractors know how to build a sturdy and reliable deck that can stand up against bad weather. They have experience working with different types of materials so they will be able to recommend the best ones for your climate. Decking contractors also offer regular maintenance services so you can guarantee your deck won’t get damaged from weather over time. They will clean and sand the wood to make it look like new again. If you decide to build a patio, then these professionals can help as well. They have knowledge of the different types of pavers and bricks available so they can help you choose the one that best suits your needs.
What to Look for in a Contractor
When it comes to choosing the best contractor, you should look for someone who is insured and licensed. This way, you know your investment will be safe. You should also make sure they have experience working with patios or decks in your area since they’ll need to understand the climate conditions. Be sure to ask for references and check them. You can also read customer reviews online to see how their work has held up over time. A contractor who has a lot of positive reviews and testimonials will probably do a good job on your patio or deck.
Do you require the services of a decking contractor in Toronto?
Decking contractors in Toronto will be able to help you find the right patio or decking material for your area and needs. They’ll also get it installed professionally so that it looks great and lasts a long time. It’s important to do research before deciding which option is best for you, though.
CDH Builders is a decking contractor in Toronto who can help you discover what would work best for your home. Using the newest techniques and materials available, CDH will be able to install your new deck with ease. We’ll make sure it lasts for years to come so you don’t have to do any additional work on it.
To learn more about what we do, don’t hesitate to contact us today. We’ll answer any questions you have and get started on your new deck right away.